Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A pictoral adventure in knitting successes and epic failures

I, being the knitting fiend that I am, love trying some new things every once in a while. Sometimes these new endeavors turn out astoundingly awesome, boosting my ego to new heights, while other times...well...I'm reminded about how much fail still exists within me. Let's start with the good, shall we?

This of course isn't my first hat, but it is my first working from the top down. It was an easy knit too. I probably knocked this bitch out in a couple of days. You can't see it well in this picture, but it has a nice rib along the bottom that I quite like. Plus it fits snug (because I mean...it's a beanie) which I love. I'll definitely probably be using this pattern again, but hopefully using some different colors so I don't look like such a goth all the time. It's the one problem I have with my knitting: I'm always using dark colored yarn, which of course allows for more fuckuppery by me. The original pattern also had some stripes, but I wasn't feeling quite daring enough to attempt them. Onward...

Arm/wrist warmers. Yes, so I can be a scene kid when I'm not being goth. LOL. I'd always liked the look of these things, but I never found any that really fit my fancy. So when I found this pattern during the last few months of the last semester I knew I had make some. These were also very quick to make; I knocked out the long warmers in about 3 days, the shorter ones in about 2. The yarn is 100% wool so that shit is warm, much too warm to wear here in the summer but when fall and winter roll around you can bet I'll be rocking these bitches.

And now...all aboard the fail boat.

This is supposed to be the back section of a jacket/sweater I'm attempting. I had to convert the original pattern due to my needles and yarn choice, but sweet Jesus did I fuck that shit up. The thing that sucks the hardest is that I've ripped out and restarted this fucker at least 10 times by now. Which is why it is currently sitting on a pile of books and DVDs, looking sad and like a 5 year old with ADHD made it. I'm waiting until I can think clearly about it without wondering why I'm such a fuckhead. It's obvious it has something to do with my gauge conversions and my general knitting abilities. And I mean, look at the top part:

SRSLY WTF DID I DO? I must have forgotten to take my meds that day, or something. And I remember thinking, "Oh I'll just finish it, maybe it'll look right when I'm done." FALSE. It looks more retarded finished than it did while I was working. So soon I need to sit down and go over the original pattern and my converted pattern to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I think the main problem is that I have to do a shitton of math for it. And it's a well known fact that math and I just don't get along. I think I chose the wrong fucking hobby. LOL.

But see, the left front piece doesn't look as bad. The main problem I have with it is that it looks so damn small. I mean, I'm not a big girl, but I'm not anorexic either. Again, something with my math was way the hell off, causing everything to look either extremely retarded or as if it were made for someone half my size. This piece can probably easily be salvaged and fixed. Plus this would only be the third time redoing it, not the eleventh, and my patience hasn't completely worn out with it yet. YET.









And those are my current adventures. Hopefully, I'll get this shit worked out and I can say that I'm fabulous again.

No comments: