Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Jesus.

And by saying Jesus I mean, "Jesus keep me out of trouble." Because my Dad is getting on my last fucking nerves.

So, last night, as we were preparing to settle down for dinner, my mom and I were discussing how during the summer I'm hardly ever hungry. My dad takes the opportunity to say, "You should teach your mother that." Now, this doesn't seem too bad out of context, but you have to understand the situation in my household: My mother has been battling weight issues (and depression) for years. My dad, being the wonderful piece of work he is, has to remind my mom of her weight constantly. It is a tender subject for her, but he has to make comments about it pretty much every chance he gets.

So after over 18 years of it, I'm tired of him being so disrespectful to my mother. I tell him to stop making cheap shots on her. This erupts into an entire fight, in which my dad can't understand why my mother and I are so "oversensitive" and why what he's been saying to her is so wrong. Seriously. It's getting to be emotional abuse. You just don't pick on someone relentlessly about something like that. He wouldn't do it to his coworkers or anything like that, so why is he doing it to the woman he's been married to for 30 fucking years?!

I took my plate and ate my dinner in my room, mostly because if I stayed back there I was going to lob my plate in his face. Later, he came to give a half-assed apology and then said, "I don't like people telling me to shut up." Well, I don't like you, but I have to deal with you. o_O

Today, I'm still reeling from it. Just a few minutes ago, he acted like it's my fault the whole incident happened, like I'm just supposed to sit back and go, "Oh, it's normal for my father to pretty much abuse my mother with words! Pass the bread, please!" I've done that for too long. Honestly, he sat back there and told me that "If something's wrong you should say something to people before it explodes." Well, motherfucker, I fucking did you son-of-a-bitch. If there's one vital lesson I've learned at college, it's to fight as soon as I see something I think is wrong. And I'm sure as hell not going to let someone take cheap shots at the woman who lugged me around for 9 months before bringing me into this world.

No comments: