Saturday, June 6, 2009

Sims 3 Review

So, being a Sims fan since it first came out, I was pretty damned stoked for the third installment of the series. Okay, I was fucking ecstatic. When I sat down to play for the first time, I was giddy with joy and the excitement of something new. However, over time that has mellowed out to "meh" and in some cases, outright disgust. There are great new aspects, but the cost of new things seems to be some of the old that were loved by the gamers and part of the reason why so it grew so huge. Without further ado, the super awesome review.

The Good
  • Seamless neighborhood. Seriously, anyone who doesn't like this is a fucking fool. Those goddamn loading screens everytime I wanted to go to the park...grr.
  • Traits. I enjoy my excitable, kleptomaniac, inappropriate, friendly vegetarian.
  • SOME customization. You can change the Sims' voices, and create a style for interior decorating has killed many hours for me. I'll explain why I say "some" later.
  • Some cool graphic effects. The light changes gradually throughout the day, instead of "Hey, it's 6 PM! BAM PITCH BLACK OUTSIDE." Also, plants move and sway, and according to some people you can see birds, but I'm not that observant and/or my comp sucks too bad for that.
  • Moodlets. Again, just adds a sense of realism. Watching a good movie does make you happier, for at least a while.
  • Jobs. I like the opportunities, or little projects that your sim can accomplish outside of work like reading a book, giving a speech, or delivering something to city hall. They boost job performance. While working, you can also choose how your sim spends their time. They can meet their coworkers, hang out and socialize, work hard, or slack off. Pretty nice.
The Bad
  • Hardly any base game items. The ones that they have either don't look good or are obvious rehashes of those in Sims 2. But the obvious reason for this will be discussed later.
  • No Body Shop. Yeah, you can't make your own clothes, hair, skintone, eyes, etc. without going in some roundabout way. Excuse me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was the reason why Sims 2 did so well--the vast options to customize our pixel people. But that just gets ripped away.
  • Round pudding faces. Everyone has the same damn facial structure and double chins, even if they're the thinnest sims you can make. I readily acknowledge, however, that this may just be because I'm so used to Sims "You can make the eyes bigger than your goddamn head" 2 and I'll get used to it.
  • Motive system seems off. While Sims sleep for fucking ever and are hungry all the goddamn time, I've only had to tell mine to pee twice. Um...if that happens to someone in real life they should probably see a doctor/drink way more water.
  • Ridiculous behavior at times. After Woo-hoo (sex) they just go back to their "relaxing position" (stretched out on the bed with their arms folded over their torsos calmly) and chat. At least in Sims 2 they cuddled, and in some instances congratulated their partner (I'm not kidding). When feeding babies or toddlers, the bottle is pulled out of thin air, and when finished, vaporizes again. Also, all it takes to change a diaper is to toss the child up in the air spinning like a fucking top and they are instantly clean. I WISH THIS SHIT WERE POSSIBLE IN REAL LIFE. But since it's not, and this game prides itself on realism, and the other two were more realistic in this aspect, I don't understand why it would be so hard to put it in this game. Again, I readily accept that this is just something I'm being picky about and may get used to.
  • Community lots. All of them, save for parks, are "rabbit holes" (meaning you can't actually see the interior. This makes since for workplaces and schools, but restaurants and stores? Honestly? Part of the fun of them was seeing your other Sims dining or shopping and having them interact together. I guess this means no hilarious shenanigans at nightclubs anymore, either.
  • It's a whole different game. Fuck all this "it's simply a more realistic Sims 2!" Most of the features from Sims 2 ( and by that I mean "all of the good ones") are gone. It plays nothing like it. Playing feels like playing a game that was meant to be on a console ported to PC.
The What the Fuck, EA?
  • Only one neighborhood and no option to make your own. In Sims 2 I never played the pre-made 'hoods except when I was learning how to play and trying out the new features. Why? Because I like creating ridiculous neighborhoods filled with mentally unstable pixel people and seeing the binary sparks fly. Shit is awesome. Plus I hate pre-existing storylines. I want my Sims to be the most ridiculous soap opera ever. Like Twilight but without all the suck and fail.
  • Storytelling mode. This is the thing that has made me rage the hardest. In previous Sims games, you played one family at a time and all the other families were stuck in time, or limbo you might say. You would go back to them later and they'd be doing the exact same things as when you left. Now, however, they all continue living. Meaning they'll grow up, die, get jobs, meet new people, fall in love, wed, AND EVEN FUCKING MOVE OUT when you're not paying attention. No, seriously. I started a nice, charming little family and moved them into a house. After getting them accustomed I switched to another house. The Sim there was reading a newspaper that popped up saying that the other family had moved away. I went to view the neighborhood, and sure enough, the family's house was now occupied by a random family that I did not create nor put there. Needless to say, I was pretty fucking livid. If I create a damn family it's because I want to play them, fuckers. Further, I've also left a sim in a nice, stable spot, and returned later to find her pregnant and nearly broke. She'd apparently gotten knocked up some random townie and went on a book shopping spree.
  • The Sims 3 Store. This is just fucking hateful, and what I think is clearly the reason why there's hardly any objects in this thing. They want you to pay more money for their crap! Yes, in this economy with a nearly 10% unemployment rate in this country, they expect you to pay $20 for a fucking binary code furniture set that still looks like shit, on top of a $50 base game. YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME, EA. How fucking greedy are you shitheads? Not to mention a high number of Sims players are teens and young adults, meaning we don't have that much money to spend. We got you to the point where you can boast that you have the highest selling video game. You should be paying us, because without us you'd still be making Sim Ant or whatever the fuck, you fucking twats.
Going off of that last statement, I think EA is just treating their customers like shit in general. When they started putting SecuRom on their disks, which is a copy-protection program that has been sued numerous times for being potentially harmful malware, they tried to silence anyone who lodged a complaint on their forum. They had also started the Sims store shit then, which was not popular, especially since regular players always had better looking stuff, and for free. So it seems like they're trying to force it by making customization much harder and not putting a lot of material in there. And I understand it's a business and they want a profit, but dammit, they've never had a problem before and they seemed to be doing as well as ever before they started this. After...I don't know.

I know I'm not the only person pretty disappointed. Just taking a cursory glance at some forums I see that many people have the same complaints. Many more people are just not buying it. EA clearly didn't understand the concept of "ain't broke, don't fix it." I think I'm going back to Sims 2.

11 comments:

Quenthel said...

hmm if your sims in sims 3 is coming out with shubby cheeks your not editing your sims right I honestly think you played it maybe one times didn't explore everything before you wrote this review alot of people have sims with out shubby cheeks by the way in the game you just obviously missed the tabs for more customization of sims..

Tinnerz said...

No, I'd played this game for about a week before I wrote this review, and at least 2 hours a day.

I seriously fiddled with the sliders for at least 20 minutes. The only way I got somewhat normal looking facial structures was by modding the sliders.

Could be my computer.

Quenthel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tinnerz said...

Lol, dude, it's an opinion. Yeah, I admit I didn't sit there and fiddle with everything and every option, and I readily acknowledge that. Going back and reading this I can point out a few things that I would go back and edit out, but what's the point? I did fix the "pudding face" problem and learn how to work the sliders, but I'm not going to go through a game front and back for a review that two people are going to read, haha. Besides, it's a video game, and at this point I don't have a lot of time to just sit down and play as much as I'd like to.

Thanks for your opinions though, I do appreciate the discussion.

Quenthel said...

I don't know how 2 comments got left to be honest and yes it is just a game IDK I like all the sims..Honestly IDKsorry if I seemed rude or too forward..lol I have been playin the sims 3 for a week now I am still learning the new stuff ..If you don't mind my saying is my theory on why they took away the need for a changing bed was to save sims time on running around because now if you keep a sim inside too long they go batty and need to leave..wich in sims2 and other sims games it took a sim an hour to walk to the bathroom depending on house size.

Tinnerz said...

I'm sure you're right regarding changing tables, baby bottles, and the like. This is another thing that bothered me for a while just because I was so used to Sims 2, but that I've gotten used to.

I dunno, I think I'll just do an update review or something, because looking back I really don't agree with half the shit I wrote anymore.

Quenthel said...

What I think is we all expected alot when sims 3 came out there is somethings I wish they would bring back wich is the ability to import your face into the game remember that? The seem to limit us with hair alot and the new ones added in store you need sim points for wich doesn't seem to be earned rather baught..the pro with creat a sim is you can change the color to customize the colors like have both black and red highlights but the styles aren't all that great I haven't looked into the mods some people seem to go crazy over but there is one called awsome mod it is supposed to let you better edit your character i may look into it to see what it is about maybe eventually with updates they may come out with more stuff we can play with seeing this is new they have expansions to sims2 so thinking they may do one for this who knows..I saw your myspace page btw your very pretty I kinda feel old lol But well noone stays young forever unless your a sim haha

Tinnerz said...

Oh God yes, I think everyone had ridiculously high expectations when it came to Sims 3. I know I bought into the hype which contributed to my initial severe disappointment.

And I highly recommend the Awesomemod. I can't play without it anymore.

Quenthel said...

I tried the awsomemodlast night wow amazing the only issue I have with it is it seems to slow my lifetime reward point gain down Say add me on myspace my display name is BitingAndscratching..

sunink said...

i like sims 3 i also like sims 2 but i really hate in sims 3 when you change active household your other sims go and adopt ,get married move out and so on its stupid!

Julia Jones said...

This, this post made me laugh so incredably loud, probably because A) you know how to use swear words and say everything funny, and B) I totally agree with you on ALL OF THIS!!!