Sunday, February 15, 2009

Music Quest!

----------------
Now playing: Animal Collective - Hey LightSo this summer I decided that I didn't like the fact that one band I listened to, The Receiving End of Sirens, had over 6,000 plays, far beyond the #2 Radiohead with about 3,000. (This was because TREOS' first album was the only thing that calmed me down in my 5-panic-attack-a-day era, and I listened to it anytime I had one and while I slept.) So I deleted all the play counts in my iTunage and my last.fm and just started the fuck over.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, my iTunes library file decided to suicide by corrupting its data. Thus I had to start it over AGAIN, but this time all my quirkily-named playlists were gone as well. I stared blankly at the lifeless library, with over 8,000 songs, and realized I had to listen to EVERY SINGLE TRACK. Well, I didn't have to, but I'm going to. Also because some shit just got lost and I didn't realize I still had it, so it was a nice surprise. I've deleted some stuff, so I'm down to 7773 tracks, but I've got folders of stuff I haven't added yet because I want to get through some of the older shit first.

How much older shit? 6567 tracks, 21.7 days, 45.58 GB.

Ah, fuck.

Right now I'm getting through all my Animal Collective because I'm in that mood. Then maybe I'll tackle the 181 Radiohead songs. Or 198 Bjork songs. I also just go through shit by shuffling. But goddamn, this sucks. Why did my file have to annhilate itself? I had everything laid out so perfectly! At least my last.fm didn't die too, but shit still sucks.

If this happened to my OCD friend Ben, I can't even imagine the hilarity. He absolutely will not let me change tags on his iTunes, even if it's something like adding the second 'r' to "Blurry." He has a playlist for fucking everything. It is the most intense thing I've experienced, second only to Mark Gormley. THAT'S FUCKING INTENSE.

As I sit here thinking (and procrastinating from reading) I probably should go ahead and add all of that music just sitting there waiting for me and deal with it. I need to stop fucking downloading everything that peaks my interest anyway. It's what I get for being an elitist musical bastard, I suppose.

Good fucking night.


EDIT: Only added about 300 songs. I was expecting much worse.
----------------
Now playing: animal collective - banshee beat

No comments: